by Logan Miller
Being from a navy town I was always part of the rum drinking, sailor sub-culture, and somehow, by the grace of the alcohol gods, all the way in Hangzhou, I got my hands on a bottle of Sailor Jerry Rum. This is something to celebrate, so why not with a drink?
When you hear someone mention an Old Fashioned, whiskey is what comes to mind, not rum. It has been a couple of years since I last had the taste of Sailor Jerry on my lips and I knew right away what I was going to do with it – take one of my favorite cocktails and change it up! This requires more ingredients than a typical cocktail, but trust me it’s delicious!
Sailor Jerry Rum
Cracked Black Pepper
1. Take a rocks glass and place one sugar cube on the bottom in the center.
2. Add three dashes of Tabasco, five dashes of Bitters (go look up what Bitters is, I’m too busy trying to teach you how to make a cocktail), and a couple cracks of black pepper all atop the sugar cube.
3. Splash a little bit of Soda Water in the glass, not enough to cover the sugar cube completely but enough to muddle the sugar into until it’s grounded down completely.
4. Pour 90ml of rum into the glass and stir for a few seconds.
5. Top off the glass with a few ice cubes and garnish with two cherries, if you take your time and sip this drink the cherries will be a delicious treat at the end. 6. Finally it’s time to sit back and enjoy!
A Few Tips:
1. If you really like a kick to your drinks just add more Tabasco or try a spicier hot sauce.
2. If the drink is too strong for your liking, add more soda water and even a little cherry juice making it easier to drink….pansy!
Want to know how to make a certain cocktail, just let us know and it could be the next featured drink in this section!
Stay thirsty my friends!